Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Survival Guide to Nursing School Post #1

I never thought that nursing school would be as tough as it was. And I didn't just come out of high school and go into nursing. I have a good background to judge. Nursing was my second degree. My first was in Biology from which I graduated with honors. Getting my bachelor's in nursing was much tougher than my bachelor's in biology.
I survived nursing school!
And you will too! But not without a new best friend. It will come naturally, because you will be like a fish out of water with all the work and the questions and the clinicals and holding people's lives in your hands. You need someone to study with, to vent with and to ask all of your questions to. Your friends who are not in nursing school will never understand! They think they know what it's like to be in school, but they don't know what it's like to be in nursing school. I met my best friend in my first real nursing class. After that, we went through every single class together and now we work on the same floor in the same hospital! That was not planned, it just happened to work out that way. She works during the day because she has 2 kids and I work nights. So now at work when I come in early and she's working I always go to her and see if I can help her and I do the same when I'm leaving work and she's coming on. She does the same for me. And when we were both first starting out, there were times when the day nurse left me with 8 patients who were a mess and I had no idea what to do, she was there staying late to help. I owe her my sanity. She is an amazing nurse and mother and I am so thankful that she was there in my class needing a friend too. Don't worry, this all comes naturally with nursing students. I have seen it with everyone in my class, especially those who are getting a second degree. We all bonded together and helped each other through everything. We made sure everyone got through it, we would not leave anyone behind. That's just what nurses do and that's why we became nurses!
I survived

No comments:

Post a Comment