Sunday, October 7, 2012

A little about me...

I’d like to begin by telling everyone a little about myself. I only started my nursing career a year and two months ago. I have always been able to tell people exactly how many months I have been a nurse for because I was just waiting to hit that year mark so I could get out of the med-surg nursing and move to a specialty. Without giving away too much information, I work on a cardiac medical surgical floor, where the nurses have 7-8 patients who in any other hospital would be considered step down or ICU. That’s right, that means there are days where it’s like taking care of 8 step down patients who are all on drips and can be just one day out of open heart surgery. This means that the stress is through the roof. In just the year that I have worked on my floor I have seen more nurses come and go than most people see in their career. But the nurses I work with are some of the most amazing, most caring people that I have ever come across in my life. It is heartbreaking every time one of them leaves. I do work nights, but I have also worked days, when my floor was short, so I have perspective from both day and night shifts. I still am constantly asking questions, because there is always more to learn. But we have many new nurses who come to me for help and advice and I absolutely love being able to help them. I would also love to learn about anyone who happens to read this post. What type of nurse are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment